Tuesday 21 February 2023

Victorian Parlour

Well, is this embarrassing or what?   2020 was my last post here.    I haven't gone away and I haven't stopped working on this property, I just got caught up with other projects I'm working on.    Added to that, given that this is my take on an existing property, a lot of research has had to go on by means of looking at hundreds upon hundreds of pictures!   There's loads out there 

So, enough of that.    I've been busy working on the Victorian Parlour and have some progress for you.

I'm trying very hard to get each room in this property as close as possible to the real thing - which is where a lot of the time goes!


I couldn't see anything online that resembled the cabinet in the room so had to create my own (apologies for the grainy photo).   I also had to hunt for a close up of the cabinet that showed exactly what was on it.   That took ages and although it's in place at the moment, it still needs a few pieces to fill it so I'll show a close up of that later when I finally get all the bits.




This is how the room looks at the moment.    The chairs are barewood, varnished and upholstered.   The pictures (and there are a lot of them) are taken from print-outs, Stately Home guidebooks that I have and online purchases.    The painting over the fireplace is a print out of the same picture that hangs in the "real" property.



Below is a picture of the actual Parlour in the Dennis Severs' property.    Many thanks again to them for allowing me to use this.    As you can see, there's a lot of stuff in this room.


* With thanks to the Dennis Sever House for permission to use pictures.

My next task here is to recreate the "fourth wall" and organise more lighting so I'm off to hunt for a mirror!

I hope everyone has been keeping well and hopefully back to normal.    








2 comments:

  1. No wonder it takes you a lot of time to have a room fully completed with all the research and wanting to get it as close as possible to the existing one. That's what makes your work so interesting and amazing. This room looks really great so far.
    Geneviève

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s looking amazing Irene. But you are right - there is a lot of detail to figure out! But worth it. It’s such an interesting house.

    ReplyDelete